I took on my allotment just over two years ago now. Alas summer 2014 and 2015 were not kind to me in terms of having time to spend on the plot.
So this is a quick reminder (in advance of some updated posts) on how the plot looked when I first took it on.
You can pretty much see the full size of the plot here. It measure 5m x 7m and there’s now an asphalt path at the front (just in front of where you can see the galvanised water tank which is on my neighbours plot). The plots are all designed to share 1 water tank between two plots.
Back in 2013 Sustainable Merton had just finished rotivating all the plots – so it was lovely to move onto land which didn’t require a lot of ground prep. There was a whole lot of brambles in a line along the front of the plot (the line of green running downwards from the water tank) which had been chopped back but not dug out. It’s been an ongoing battle to get rid of them.
We’ve got our first allotment event of the year this weekend (a seed swap) and so I’ll be posting some updated pics on Sunday evening and working on getting some planting plans etc posted!
You can also read my original post – and excitement – about the allotment.
I hope the rotivating didnt multiply all the weeds! Its about the same size as my garden. My plot is about 50m x 8m though 😃
The original rotivating did! I’ve been fighting a battle against brambles on the front third of the plot for the last 2 years 🙂